Nurturing Creativity & Imagination
Creative play is how children learn about the world. Great opportunities for learning are possible when children participate in creative play with dolls, vehicles, blocks, puzzles, cardboard, or boxes. Creativity and imagination are skills that our children will need when they join the workforce of the future.
How can we nurture creativity?
Embrace failure –if children are too afraid to fail, they will never try anything new. Being creative is about trying new things.
Provide encouragement, opportunity, and coaching
Offer group work as the sharing ideas can spark more ideas
Provide clear explanations of the focus or need
Create choices for children to tailor their learning
Add constraints – e.g. you can only use these materials and nothing else
Provide opportunities to watch creativity in action
Creativity and critical thinking is an ongoing process.
The most important thing we can teach our children is to value them and to allow them to think freely.
* Children who are creative when they encounter a problem, they are able to find ways to solve it without being told what to do.
* It is important to encourage children to be creative in many ways: coloring books, music and dance lessons, and participating in educational field trips etc.
* Educational trips to new places such as the library, fire station, bread factory etc. - offer excellent opportunities for learning.
* Outdoor Adventures Educational trips stimulates children's sense of wonder and curiosity. It can hold the children's interest.
Outdoor Adventures experiences are especially exciting because they let children use their senses to explore, to make their own observations and ask their own questions.
Nurturing Independent Thinkers
- Independent thinking skills, involve children in group discussion, planning and implementing classroom projects. We encourage children to ask, learn, and do things independently.
- It's in our children's best interest to learn independent thinking skills at an early age. Independent thinking skills empower our children to live productive, successful and happy lives.
- Children learn to face challenges with optimism. The most important task is to encourage our children to be independent, so they can take care of themselves.
- Independent thinking skills play a significant role in the development of our children. In mastering a new skill, children learn perseverance responsibility, teamwork, common sense and problem solving skills.
- These characteristic are very important part of our children's growing process. Independent thinkers have the abilities to overcome challenges in their daily lives.
- They also have the abilities to help others to solve problems. Acquiring independence thinking skills increase our children's confidence and positive self-esteem.
Activities to develop thinking skills
• Questions: why?, how?, what? if... One of the simplest and easiest ways to help our children develop independence thinking skills is by asking the right questions that stimulate their thoughts.
• Solving puzzles and riddles help children think out of the box and enhance the problem solving skills.
• Games like scavenger hunt, obstacle course and outdoor camping would be very useful for encouraging strategic thinking.
• Quiz, interactive activities that involve group discussion, interactive games, and problem solving skills.
• Brainstorming sessions also contribute to the development of our children's independence thinking skills.
• Optical Illusions stimulate the children's minds to think critically. Along with the fun and enjoyment involved.
• Brain Teasers generate the interests through different challenges; help to develop independence thinking skills.
• Supporting and nurturing these skills is crucial to the development of strong academic and lifelong problem-solving skills.
• Developing independent thinking skills give children the tools to think and apply them in new ways.
• Mastering new skills heighten their enthusiasm and they will be motivated to achieve their goals and objectives.
To your parenting success