Character Education emphasise on the importance of developing good moral values at a young age such as honesty, integrity, truthfulness, initiative, and responsibility.
Parents enroll your children to a school is to learn about academic subjects but these are not the only things that children need to learn if they ever want to become successful in the real world.
Character education gives children the necessary tools that they will be using more often than those that they learn from the other subjects.
What children learn from character education will be useful to them as they engage and interact with other people in society. For them to become upstanding members of their communities, they need to know the proper way to treat other people, and these are the things that they learn and understand through character education.
Children become knowledgeable and competent, possessing good moral values, capable of achieving high levels of personal well-being, contributing to the harmony and betterment of the family, the society and the nation!
The 11 core character traits promoted in this Program are:
1) Respect, 2) Responsibility, 3) Honesty/Trust, 4) Caring/ kind
5) Fairness, 6) Perseverance, 7) Self-Discipline, 8) Citizenship
9) Collaboration 10) Gratitude 11) Diligence
How To Motivate Good Behaviour?
• Consistently praising the good behaviour of children will raise their self-esteem and boost self-confidence. They learn that they will receive attention from adults and will be motivated to behave well.
• Remember that praise must be specific; children must understand why they are being praised. Explain to them the reason that you are pleased.
• Children can be quite a handful and as much as we want them to grow up to be well mannered, good and kind, there are times when their behavior shows otherwise. The earlier we deal with bad behavior, the better.
• Children who experience quality time with parents do not need to act out to get their attention.
• There are a variety of strategies which may or may not work depending on children's personalities and behavior.
• All children are individuals and therefore, it is important to consider carefully which strategy works best for them.
Proven ways to change child's behaviour
Do not expose our children to violence on television. Encourage shows which are conducive to learning positive values.
Do what you can to become a positive role model, avoid raising your voice, yelling, hitting, or shouting angrily in front of our children. Remember to keep your cool, hug and tell them often you love them.
A key to successful parenting is to have a happy marriage in which children can use as a model for their future relationships. Children flourish when they are raised in homes with happy, balanced parents.
Praise for good behaviour and hardwork
Reward for good behaviour
When your children show good behavior, you may reward them with your choice of prize on occasions.
But don't overdo it or they might only get motivated to behave because of the rewards and not because it is the right thing to do.
Simple thanks can works wonders
• Give children rewards that would help them in developing their hobbies.
• A picnic outing will also excite and motivate children to behave well.
• Give children inexpensive creative gifts, like baking cupcakes...
• You can also award children with their favorite story books.
• Offer children random awards so as to keep them motivated.
• Children need to learn that just because they feel angry; it does not give them the right to hurt others.
• One of the most effective ways to learn self-control is to learn that choices have consequence.
• Most success in life depends on making wise choices.
• Thinking ahead about the positive or negative consequences of an action and choose accordingly is a skill children need to learn.
• Providing explanations for appropriate behavior helps your children learn kind and respectful behavior
Our daughters are holding strong on what they have learned in Aman Ceria, which is - honesty, respect, and teamwork (besides the normal textbook subject).
These principals are important to us. Finally, I can say that Aman Ceria is practicing "1 Malaysia" all the time, and therefore being a model Malaysian citizen will come naturally to their pupils.
Hanita Binti Hashim & Mahayudin Bin Salleh